These Falafel were made for the Squash Food Waste Festival in Bristol by @thechocolate bearKitchen. A great way to use up the excess pumpkin pulp from Pumpkin Carvings.
Plus they are super healthy, if cooked in the oven and not fried, high in protein, fibre and minerals and easy to make. Have an awesome Halloween!
You will need…
- Food Processor
- Baking Tray
- Greaseproof Paper
- Large Mixing Bowl
- Pestle and Mortar
- 1 Small Pumpkin, peeled
- 1/2 Aubergine
- 400ml tin or carton Butter Beans (I always find organic cartons but never tins)
- 400ml tin or carton Chickpeas
- 1/2 Red Onion
- 1 Tbsp Tahini
- Pinch of Salt
- 1/2 Tbspn Coriander Seeds
- 1/2 Tbspn Cumin Seeds
- 1/2 Lemon (zest and juice)
- Heat a dry frying pan and toast the Coriander and Cumin Seeds for 1-2 minutes.
- Tip into a pestle and mortar and grind.
- With the sharp “S” blade attached, add the Butter Beans and Chickpeas to the food processor and pulse until chopped but not smooth (about 5 seconds).
- Tip into a bowl and remove the”S” blade in the food processor with the fine grater attached (or great by hand) and grate the remaining vegetables.
- Tip into the bowl and mix with the blitzed Butter Beans and Chickpeas .
- Add the Tahini, Lemon Juice and Zest and stir.
- Shape into 2 inch balls. (This mixture will be wet!)
- Place it on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper and chill in the fridge for 10 minutes whilst your oven is preheating to 190*C.
- Bake for 25 to 35 minutes turning after 20 minutes
- Serve warm, or allow to cool and refrigerate.
Enjoy and Happy Halloween.